What Must I Do To Be Saved?
Acts 16:30-31: And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
The four most common words used in the Word of God referring to our relationship with Jesus are:
• Born Again
• Saved or Salvation
John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 5:24: Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
• The Word of God teaches that we must believe, commit to, and fully rely on Jesus in order to be born again. This is more than mental assent. It is embracing and receiving Jesus for who He is and what He has done to purchase salvation for mankind.
John 3:3, 7: Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.’"
• Believing in Jesus, who is God’s gift to mankind, is what we do that enables us to be born again. He gives us a new life. Old things pass away and all things become new (2 Corinthians 5:17). This new birth and this new life given to us is the result of our acceptance and belief in Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son. Therefore, we are born again (spiritually) when we accept Jesus and His finished work on the cross. We now walk in newness of life as we walk with Jesus whom God raised from the dead.
Saved, or Salvation
Mark 16:15-18: And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.
Romans 10:9-13: If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 4:12: Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. His name is JESUS!
• Being saved means that we are saved from the corruption and destruction of this world and from damnation in the next life. Salvation is best said by Jesus in:
John 10:10: The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
Acts 11:26: And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Acts 26:28: Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You almost persuade me to become a Christian.”
• The term "Christian" means Christ-like. This is a lifestyle. When you believe on Jesus, and are born again, you receive salvation. Then this new life will reveal a desire to change and a desire to serve Jesus instead of yourself (2 Corinthians 5:15). Your new life will take on the likeness of Christ. Becoming a Christian must be your daily walk. As you submit to Him and obey His Word, you become more and more like Him.
• After you have met God's requirement to be born again, it is important you know you are now a believer. If you live in doubt, your life will be filled with frustration and futility. The Bible teaches us that we can know for sure we have eternal life.
I John 5:13: These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may KNOW that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.
John 14:1-6: Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know. Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Q U E S T I O N S :
1. Do you believe that salvation is for everyone who will believe on Jesus?
2. Do you believe that you have been born again and are saved?
3. Do you believe that because you have been born again and are saved that you have everlasting life, and when you die, you go to heaven?
4. Do you believe that while Jesus' death provides you with eternal life, that believing in His resurrection, you have abundant life now in this life?
P R A Y E R
I believe and call on the name of JESUS. I ASK YOU TO FORGIVE ME of all my sins. I believe you died for me and your blood has washed away all my sins. Thank you for saving me. I will obey and serve you all my life.